Skip to main content

Happiness: Overrated or Not



I would have used a happy picture of myself here,
but this lil princess is just so pretty, I couldn't resist.

I remember vividly that day in August 2015, (the 28th to be precise), when I wrote: "today, I am truly happy", and saved it as a draft on this blog.

I was in my comfy corner at Mediacraft Associates Limited (oh how I LOVED that place: its people, the indomie and eggs guy, the fried yam/potatoes/dodo woman, Maryland Suya guys, my working hours, the Fleishman Hillard pressure, but most especially the awe-mazing people there :) ), 
totally at peace with myself and giddy with joy. 

I couldn't explain it, or maybe I could: I'd just returned from my first official trip 
ever, where I worked with a team of highly intelligent and skilled people to help Nigerian Breweries (Nigeria's pioneer and largest brewing company) break the Guinness World Records of largest poster in the world (Read here and here.... a media company in India, has, however, now broken the record; bah hey, we broke someone else's..:) ). 




I was really happy and proud of myself, I had money in hand and at the bank ...hehe (well, I was still saving to see the world at the time and I wasn't the 'responsible daughter' yet ). I was in love with love and life, my sisters and parents were hale and hearty, I was getting ready for my best friend's wedding, everything was good between God and me, I'd achieved everything I'd set out to achieve that year, and it was just August. I was truly happy and at peace. That day, I wanted to put in words how I felt, but the euphoria didn't let me articulate how I felt, so I tucked that feeling away in a safe place in my heart.

Today, I don't feel anything like what I felt on that day...; wait, let me think..................errrmmm, nah! I don't feel anything like it at all. I just want to watch a movie (romcom preferably, those types that make you laugh and cry and laugh and cry and laugh...you get it, right?) in my room, on my bed, with my ears plugged and the curtains pulled shut, and stuff my face with creamy sugary things, that's all. See, it's so easy and affordable to make me happy right now.

I digress. 

So, I’m a huge fan of happiness (and love :) ), mostly because I don't think it's far-fetched. Money can definitely buy happiness, please don't get me started as to how, when, where, what... 

Anyway, here's where the misunderstanding lies: most people seek 'happiness', but what they really seek is Joy: the state of being at peace with yourself. HuffingtonPost puts it succinctly, "joy incorporates both the agony and the ecstasy of existence. It requires that you make a vow to yourself, to live your life for better and for worse, for richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health, til death do you part". I couldn't agree more. This means no matter what comes, good or bad; no matter how you feel, happy or sad; you resolve to stay true to yourself, content and grounded.

Now, joy doesn't mean 'unfazed' or that you suddenly become a robot and stop feeling
...there I am, finally!
 feelings. I have just told you how I feel right now and all the things I 
legit feel like doing, throw in a return ticket to a serene island and I'm gone..., but I am unable to do all those things, I'm not where I want to be (you have no idea), I don't have everything I need, I just got some really devastating news, and a friend of mine recently went to heaven; but, I can objectively say I'm at peace. These times too shall pass.

What is the opposite of joy?


No, it isn't sadness. Sadness is the opposite of happiness. Google says 'misery' is the opposite of joy. I think they used 'misery' for lack of a more condensed word. The cure to misery is peace, not worry or babalawo. And it is practically impossible to attain that peaceful state without the Prince of Peace, FYI. Ermmmm, if you need Him, I can tell you how to meet Him. *pause*. 
Don't say Priscilla did nothing for Y'all :)


The very essence of life incorporates both sad and happy moments; it is the blend of these experiences that makes the smoothie of our lives rich and memorable. A lot of people today pursue happiness, unfortunately, happiness is elusive. 

My name is Priscilla Adeboye and today, in spite of how I feel, I'm grateful. I'm grateful for e.v.e.r.y.t.i.m.e I have been ecstatically happy and heartbrokenly sad... this smoothie's gonna be too lit! 

Unity and faith, peace and progress.

Xx 

Photo credit: photo.elsoar; clickinmoms; Legend Photos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIA VENTS: JUST DO IT? REALLY? LIKE SERIOUSLY?

It’s been a beautiful and restful day… but I’m very pissed and this has got absolutely nothing to do with Nike, believe me. I’m so pissed at the kind of people that makes up my generation. I’m so pissed, I’m crying right now. The kind of greed and lust and immorality and sheer evil that’s going on all around me. That’s what I’m pissed about. We all read about the BOWEN girl that was killed last week by cultists. Why? Because her ‘shakara’ was too much and they ‘wanted to teach her a lesson’. For crying out loud, it is said that as the population of the world stands right now, it’s 4 girls to one guy. and i'm sure there are so many guys who already have their ‘one girl’, that means you can have their other 3 to your 4…meaning there are soooo many other girls for your taking. So many girls you don’t have to ask to give you what you want.... (continue)

KEEP CALM IT'S MY BIRTHDAY

 22 RANDOM THINGS MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ABOUT MOI :) I’m 22 tomorrow (July 17) and even though I might not have had ‘favorite childhood memories’ like ‘regular’ people, I’ve been such a blessssed girl. I’m so grateful to God. He’s given me a life better than I ever could have lived on my own. I’m actually a very private person, I don’t like to talk about myself but I just feel so excited about this birthday and I feel like sharing 22 of some of the things most people don’t know about me with you. I won’t go into details, sorry :-p ..hehe... UPDATE: A friend of mine said to me, "I read through this list and most of the things you wrote tell me absolutely nothing about you that I didn't know before, why are you so tight-fisted about information about yourself?"... Plus, my friend, Femi 'Phera' Joshua nominated me to say 20 things about me on instagram recently, so I decided to kuku 'UPdate' this list...some new points have been adde

A LETTER TO MY FUTURE HUSBAND

This one’s for The Man Who Will One Day Become My Soul-Mate in Crime *wink. # Dear future Husband of mine, How are you, mi loveness? I’m not totally sure what my purpose in writing this letter is; I guess I just really wanted to talk to you. It’s so weird that I haven’t met you and I’m writing you, right? Well...  I have sooo many things I wanna say to you and gist you about and I don’t even know how to coordinate those thoughts and make them rhyme. So, this letter may seem all over the place, just be attentive, you’ll understand, because you’re sooo super smart...mwaaah. Right now, my love life is rather lacklustre  and I am heart-broken right now, I'll gist you... but I’m not embarrassed one bit about it or ashamed of not having a serious relationship (or a string of silly relationships). That mostly has to do with my determination not to date someone *just* to date them. I want more than that from my love life and I know you’re absolutely worth the