Skip to main content

Social Media and Its shenanigans

Words of a socialmedia purist - Lauretta Malaka


It'd been a long day of volleying words in the boardroom. I was glad to be out. I headed for the bus stop. I was just in time. As I got on the bus, I was so relieved that my favorite seat at the centre row close to the window was empty.


I sank into the seat exhausted. I plugged in my earphones and allowed Sam Smith to pour soothing music into my eardrums. I looked out the window (feeling like I'm in a music video) watching vendors trying one last time to market their wares before the bus picks up speed.
As the bus eased into the traffic,
I decided to log into Facebook to know what's new with my friends and check out the latest posts from pages I've liked.

I had notifications and a couple of friend requests. I scrolled through the list wondering why these good fellows sent me requests wanting to sail with me on Friend 'Ship'.


Why did they want to be friends on Facebook? Was it because it gave them the feeling of being friends, being social, without having to put in any actual work to start and build the relationship except a few key strokes? Or maybe while they sleepwalked into their homepage, trying to keep themselves up to date on the happenings in their contacts' lives, stumble on the 'friends you may know' tab, add a couple of names into their friends-shopping-cart and then stumble on? You may be thinking I'm a proud, standoffish son of a gun *hands you two capsules of chillpill and a glass of cold water*. Don't get it twisted, I'm the nicest, and most approachable mortal you have ever met.

I'm sort of a social network purist. This doesn't mean I don't have strangers in my 'ship' but my wish is that if I get to meet these strangers in 3D (i.e. in flesh and blood) we can continue from where we stopped on social media.

I just don't want to build a troop I can only ‘use’ to further my cause e.g. get votes for a competition, increase the number of likes on my posts, potential customers etc,
 but I want to grow a family, a network of people who are real to me. Trust me, it's for our good.

From the 'applications' I received, I accepted a few requests and turned down the others (see me feeling like a HR personnel...come on, this is my 'company'). I then checked out my friends list and discovered that friends aboard had increased to 213 (I know allllll of you boast of more), I was surprised to discover that there were lots of people I hadn't spoken with in years and I suddenly became curious about what they were up to. I started off by checking a couple of their timelines, it helped me continue on an ongoing conversation that made me feel I had known enough of what's happening with them even if I hadn't seen or texted them in years.

I was so absorbed in this and oblivious of my environment that when I raised my head from the lighted box in my hands, I discovered that the sun had fully set, the streetlamps were more brilliant and the bus had finally reached the last bus stop. I tossed my phone into my bag, stretched, got out of my seat and while i joined the file out of the bus, I made a mental note to write personal messages to all the friends on my 'ship'.


If John Kovacevich could write to all 1109 of his LinkedIn contacts last year, I sure can do the same for my 213 Facebook friends.

photocredit: www.theberkeleygraduate.com; stuartjdavidson.com

===============================================================================================

THE WRITER - My name is Lauretta. I'm a graduate engineer, a keen observer of others, and intensely curious about the world. A chronic bibliophile, I go into relapse when I'm short of supply. As much as I like my laurels, resting on them has never been as interesting as diving off into a new pool. 

PRISCILLA'S NOTE -
I studied for, travelled for and wrote my SATs with this awe-mazingggg lady in 2008. She was my 'co-hostess' on the trip and that was when we got close. Even though life happened and we lost contact at some point, she found me and has never stopped showing immense support for me and all my many 'projects'. Everyone needs a cheerleader like Lauretta in their corner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIA VENTS: JUST DO IT? REALLY? LIKE SERIOUSLY?

It’s been a beautiful and restful day… but I’m very pissed and this has got absolutely nothing to do with Nike, believe me. I’m so pissed at the kind of people that makes up my generation. I’m so pissed, I’m crying right now. The kind of greed and lust and immorality and sheer evil that’s going on all around me. That’s what I’m pissed about. We all read about the BOWEN girl that was killed last week by cultists. Why? Because her ‘shakara’ was too much and they ‘wanted to teach her a lesson’. For crying out loud, it is said that as the population of the world stands right now, it’s 4 girls to one guy. and i'm sure there are so many guys who already have their ‘one girl’, that means you can have their other 3 to your 4…meaning there are soooo many other girls for your taking. So many girls you don’t have to ask to give you what you want.... (continue)

KEEP CALM IT'S MY BIRTHDAY

 22 RANDOM THINGS MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ABOUT MOI :) I’m 22 tomorrow (July 17) and even though I might not have had ‘favorite childhood memories’ like ‘regular’ people, I’ve been such a blessssed girl. I’m so grateful to God. He’s given me a life better than I ever could have lived on my own. I’m actually a very private person, I don’t like to talk about myself but I just feel so excited about this birthday and I feel like sharing 22 of some of the things most people don’t know about me with you. I won’t go into details, sorry :-p ..hehe... UPDATE: A friend of mine said to me, "I read through this list and most of the things you wrote tell me absolutely nothing about you that I didn't know before, why are you so tight-fisted about information about yourself?"... Plus, my friend, Femi 'Phera' Joshua nominated me to say 20 things about me on instagram recently, so I decided to kuku 'UPdate' this list...some new points have been adde

30 THINGS TO DO BEFORE I'M 30

A couple of days ago, my friend Sodeeq and I were having our usual chit-chat and suddenly, he said to me ‘Babe, live a little...’ That statement prompted me to start to think about those things I've always wanted to do but just haven't gotten round to doing. During my self search, I suddenly discovered I haven't really really like really done anything very fun or memorable these past years of my life (except, of course, my night out with the girls (Sasa, Leemah and Steph last year....lol. that was super memorable... *lip sealed*)... and that is funny because I consider myself a very adventurous person. I looove travelling, learning about other cultures and all so I don't know why I've been this 'boring'... So I decided to take a break from all the 'seriousness' going on in my life right now and write down some 30 things (fun, some not-so-fun things) I'd like to do on or before I clock 30, and in my awesome graciousness, I have de