Skip to main content

THE MORNING AFTER...(not pill)

First, I wanna seize this opportunity to make a hefty shout out to my friends at Urban Dictionary for making my week *fist bump to the team*... I thank God, my friends and family for their unending support. Thank you Solomon for drawing my attention to this earth-shaking, ground-breaking discovery *sniff* I dedicate *whatever this is* to everyone hustling (*cues music* everyday I’m hustlin’…), I never hesperredit...

Go here to know what all this 'stories that touch' is all about... (LOL) and for those who have been wondering what Priscilla means, go here, and here. I know it generally means 'ancient' (that is, belonging to the good old times...little wonder), 'worthy' or 'venerable'. Ahmean... show some respect, people *pops collar* (confession: I used to think it meant 'dutiful'...shhhhh)

God knows who comes up with these things...LOL. But on a more serious note, I found out some of the things mentioned about ‘Priscilla’ are actually true about me.

I say: “you're better off with me in your corner” (I'm not even bragging right now, it's what it is). People (family, friends, colleagues) say most of the nice things you just read about ‘Priscilla’ (thank you, thank you, no pictures), but they also say: "you'd better not get on her bad side. Be anywhere but on her bad side. Seriously, I don't even know what they mean by that.

I know I get veeery pissed very fast when I’m kept waiting, when I’m lied to, when someone doesn't ‘deliver’, thus putting me in a comprising situation, etc. But then, I claim am not a very confrontational person, so I try to guide against being in any such fracas, ruckus, hullabaloo, ballyhoo, jangle and brouhaha (takes a bow)…



Have you ever been so angry that you felt some nerves tighten around your brain, throat, stomach, fists, spinal cord, eyes, jaw, even nails, kidneys, bones? (Now, I’m kidding).

We all know what anger is, we've all felt it: whether as a fleeting annoyance or as full-fledged rage.

Anger clouds our judgment causing us to momentarily respond wildly out of emotion. Sometimes, it can get so intense that we tremble passionately. Some research suggest that long term and intense anger has been linked with mental health problems (ward 7 / Yaba, last bustop to the left…lol), sleep difficulties, digestive problems, colds, flu, cancer, high blood pressure, heart disease and heart attack. *sigh*


We are human, so it’s normal to get angry every once in a while. I read somewhere that it is actually healthy to blow off steam once in a while, but repeated anger can deplete, erode and corrode (my words) the human body from inside out.

How then do we lose anger and keep our reactions to it from escalating to uncontrollable heights?

Here are so many things you could do:

1.    Take a timeout - Defuse your temper by slowing down. Before you react, take a moment to breathe deeply and count to 10. If necessary, step away from the person or situation until your frustration subsides.

What I do most times is draft an email/text/chat (a strong-worded message, if you like). I turn off my wifi, write whatever to whomever I’m angry at, call them every name in and out of the book. I save the email, leave it to ‘simmer’ and walk away (time out). Later when I’m calmer, I take a look at the mail and I am a l w a y s glad it wasn’t sent initially.

Some people take a timeout to work out. Exercising releases endorphins which create more positive energy. Stimulating your brain can leave you feeling more relaxed.

Whatever works for you; when you feel you are back a calmer place, state your concerns and needs concisely and directly but in a non-confrontational manner. Don't try to control the other party or to hurt them.

2.    Forgive – this might seem like a herculean task at first but the truth is, you won’t be able to really move forward until you have forgiven the ‘offender’. Don’t keep a grudge…don’t give anyone that much power over you and that much space in your mind/heart.

3.    Identify possible solutionsdwelling so much on the cause of our anger won’t do so much in making anything better. My Bible says “offense will surely come…”(Luke 17:1). So, calm down, identify possible solutions, and move on to the next offense.

4.    Know when to seek help - Controlling anger is challenging to everyone at times. Consider seeking help for anger issues if your anger seems out of control, causes you to do things you regret or hurts those around you. Call an old friend, someone who knows you well, who can hold you accountable. You might also explore anger management classes.


Usually when we eventually ‘cool down’, and the whole episode flashes back in our minds, we would wonder how we allowed ourselves get so angry in the first place.

When I’m very upset, I ask myself "tomorrow morning when I look back at this, will it be worth this tornado I’m rousing right now?” This question is my 'auto-reset button'; you should try it.

Unity and faith; peace and progress
xx...

Photo Credits: picgifs.com; chughtailab.com; cmhc.utexas.edu



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIA VENTS: JUST DO IT? REALLY? LIKE SERIOUSLY?

It’s been a beautiful and restful day… but I’m very pissed and this has got absolutely nothing to do with Nike, believe me. I’m so pissed at the kind of people that makes up my generation. I’m so pissed, I’m crying right now. The kind of greed and lust and immorality and sheer evil that’s going on all around me. That’s what I’m pissed about. We all read about the BOWEN girl that was killed last week by cultists. Why? Because her ‘shakara’ was too much and they ‘wanted to teach her a lesson’. For crying out loud, it is said that as the population of the world stands right now, it’s 4 girls to one guy. and i'm sure there are so many guys who already have their ‘one girl’, that means you can have their other 3 to your 4…meaning there are soooo many other girls for your taking. So many girls you don’t have to ask to give you what you want.... (continue)

KEEP CALM IT'S MY BIRTHDAY

 22 RANDOM THINGS MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ABOUT MOI :) I’m 22 tomorrow (July 17) and even though I might not have had ‘favorite childhood memories’ like ‘regular’ people, I’ve been such a blessssed girl. I’m so grateful to God. He’s given me a life better than I ever could have lived on my own. I’m actually a very private person, I don’t like to talk about myself but I just feel so excited about this birthday and I feel like sharing 22 of some of the things most people don’t know about me with you. I won’t go into details, sorry :-p ..hehe... UPDATE: A friend of mine said to me, "I read through this list and most of the things you wrote tell me absolutely nothing about you that I didn't know before, why are you so tight-fisted about information about yourself?"... Plus, my friend, Femi 'Phera' Joshua nominated me to say 20 things about me on instagram recently, so I decided to kuku 'UPdate' this list...some new points have been adde

30 THINGS TO DO BEFORE I'M 30

A couple of days ago, my friend Sodeeq and I were having our usual chit-chat and suddenly, he said to me ‘Babe, live a little...’ That statement prompted me to start to think about those things I've always wanted to do but just haven't gotten round to doing. During my self search, I suddenly discovered I haven't really really like really done anything very fun or memorable these past years of my life (except, of course, my night out with the girls (Sasa, Leemah and Steph last year....lol. that was super memorable... *lip sealed*)... and that is funny because I consider myself a very adventurous person. I looove travelling, learning about other cultures and all so I don't know why I've been this 'boring'... So I decided to take a break from all the 'seriousness' going on in my life right now and write down some 30 things (fun, some not-so-fun things) I'd like to do on or before I clock 30, and in my awesome graciousness, I have de