Skip to main content

How I switched careers before it even started: A story and some tips


Where it all started

I was raised in Ilorin, Nigeria (e nle fa!). No, I wasn’t born there. I also attended the University of Ilorin (Better by Far), where I bagged a degree in Finance. If you know me now, you might ask, ‘how could someone like Priscilla study a course like Finance?’ Well, it’s simple: I loved mathematics - I still do, but because I was in ‘Commercial Class’ in secondary school, I didn’t have the subject combination to study Mathematics or Statistics (which are Science courses) in Uni. So, after several consultations with my parents and school counsellors, I settled for the ‘Math and Statistics’ of Commercial Students: Finance, with my second choice as Economics.

How it started
After my first semester, despite my 4.3 GPA, I knew Finance wasn’t really my calling. We had only ONE Maths-like course, and then courses like: Laws of Banking, Cost Accounting, Political Science, Financial Accounting Theory, and later on, Business Law, Corporate Law, Management Accounting, Financial Administration, Merchant Banking, Macro and Micro-economics, Monetary and Banking Policy, Business Finance, Capital Market and Portfolio Theory, Investment Analysis, Bank Lending and Administration, just to name a few. At this point, I know you’re thinking I should just post my transcript here and let’s call it a day. LOL. I offered 55 of those types of courses over the 4-year duration of obtaining my degree. 

Sometime during one of my student holidays, I got to intern at a Tax Audit firm in Ikeja, Lagos. That 3-month stint confirmed to me that I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life being a core Finance Professional (which is a great career, by the way.) It felt rigid to me and made me feel boxed-in with little wriggle room to express my creativity. Unfortunately, there was no provision to switch my course, except to go back to write JAMB and WAEC (these are qualifying exams to gain admission into Nigerian Universities), and forfeiting the one year I’d spent. For some reason, that wasn’t even an option for me.

How I discovered my Career in Communications
Recall that I realised after just one semester as a Finance undergrad that I’d rather be doing something else? However, because I was not in the mood to lose the one year I’d invested in Laws of Banking and its sibling-courses, I decided to see my degree in Finance through and make the best of it. Thankfully, by the mid-session of my first year, I discovered there was a community radio station on campus, the Unilorin 89.3FM. I listened to it a few times and thought: ‘I can actually do this thing, it can’t be that hard.’ So, I wrote an application letter, got it typed, printed and submitted at the Senate Building, where the studio was located at the time. I met the Station Manager, Segun ‘Leo’ Alabi (my first boss ever, a thorough professional, forever an amazing human), and Omololu ‘PhQ./Lolu’ Shomuyiwa (my padi forever and always.) They’d both just finished a Show. I shakily handed Leo my application letter, he smiled and asked when I could start and I responded: ‘‘after my classes tomorrow.’’ He added that I would have to understudy him and Lolu for 3 months before I’d be allowed to go on-air. I was fine with that and just glad to have gotten this rare opportunity to explore something I found interesting.

Long story short, I started my career journey at age 18 as a radio presenter. I did that for 3 years on a part-time basis and I fell in love with communications. I have gone ahead to explore almost every aspect of it: Broadcast, Writing, Advertising, Media Relations, PR, Corporate Comms, Crisis Management, Experiential Marketing, Events, Stakeholder Management… yah! I started from the bottom and now I’m here (haha).

10 years and counting
It's been almost 10 years since I took my first step into communications and I have absolutely no regrets. I’ve been very blessed with amazing opportunities to express my creativity and I’ve met many awesome people. When it all started, I didn’t know where the journey would take me. Sometimes, I’m so sure where it’ll lead, other times, I’m not, but I know I am on the right path and I’m grateful I found it early on. 

PS:  No knowledge is a waste. Those 55 courses I took were insightful and I have since been able to apply some of that knowledge in my life, work and investment portfolio. 

Tips for you if you’d like to switch careers: 

If you are currently feeling stuck in a role you’ve outgrown or on a path you would rather not be, I hope my story has inspired you to seek possibilities and take necessary actions towards them. Here are some tips if you’re thinking of switching careers:

·       Assess your situation and be sure – while you may be lucky and be able to leave and return, I reckon that HR experts will advise against shuttling several unrelated careers. However, it’s okay for you not to see the end of your journey from where you stand, but ensure to make an informed decision and choose the journey that brings you the most joy and one that challenges you too.
·       Arm yourself with relevant information. Keep your ears to the ground and eyes wide open for opportunities. Don’t stop asking questions about the industry you’re trying to branch into, you should also connect with relevant people there.
·    Be ready for opportunities and when they come, take a leap of faith a.k.a Just do it! One question I now remember to ask myself when I am afraid to make a move is: “what’s the worst that can possibly happen?”
·     Keep knocking – In this case, the worst that can happen is that they will say no’. This means your dream career change might not happen right away but don’t stop knocking. The Scriptures say: “knock and the door will be opened unto you.” Please understand that I know how much the word ‘No’ hurts, I have gotten more than my fair share. So, I get it.   If you need to take a break, by all means, take it. But if we give up, wetin we gain?
·       Upskill - Don’t stop learning. Growing up, my favourite quote was: “the day we stop learning, we stop living.” Don’t stop learning relevant skills and acquiring relevant knowledge.
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

NB: One great way to learn and garner relevant experience is by volunteering in the sector you want to move into, it’s how I started. Volunteering gives you the relevant experience and technical knowledge that puts you heads and shoulders above other applicants when your billion-dollar opportunity shows up.

 You’ve got this!

Have you changed careers before? How did that go? What tips worked for you?


Unity and faith, peace and progress.

XX


Comments

  1. Quite inspiring, God bless you countess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Countess PIA for the mention. I bless God for how far He's been of help to us. Vividly I remember that day, and the letter? Uhmmmn, it was dated 28th June, 2010... I still have it. Lol. I may one day share it with the World. Keep keeping the flag flying Sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you boss. I somehow thought it was Januaryyyyy... hahaha. Thank God for your record -keeping skills

      Delete
  3. Priscilla grew faster than most of us. I remember how she comes back from a School break sharing all the amazing stuffs she was able to do in Lagos. I remember alot of volunteering too...

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you my dear dear brother. God bless you.

      Delete
  4. Quite inspiring an read. It's funny how I studied language and communication yet I find it hard to get a job in my desired field ( PR, marketing/ corporate communications , Events etc) I have done a lot of volunteering and training to no avail. Yet I"ll keep knocking and not give up. I am currently stuck on a job I no longer enjoy. I wouldn't mind an opportunity to explore possibilities in this field with you ma @Mrs Pricillia. Email me @ toluwalopeokerinde@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can’t believe I just stumbled on this🥺. Just for the record, you inspired me a lot back then, I was always glad to be paired with on the radio OAP schedule. The duo was the bomb. Your energy is contagious and I have leant a whole lot from you even if I don’t get to say this often. Thanks partner #ELA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PIA VENTS: JUST DO IT? REALLY? LIKE SERIOUSLY?

It’s been a beautiful and restful day… but I’m very pissed and this has got absolutely nothing to do with Nike, believe me. I’m so pissed at the kind of people that makes up my generation. I’m so pissed, I’m crying right now. The kind of greed and lust and immorality and sheer evil that’s going on all around me. That’s what I’m pissed about. We all read about the BOWEN girl that was killed last week by cultists. Why? Because her ‘shakara’ was too much and they ‘wanted to teach her a lesson’. For crying out loud, it is said that as the population of the world stands right now, it’s 4 girls to one guy. and i'm sure there are so many guys who already have their ‘one girl’, that means you can have their other 3 to your 4…meaning there are soooo many other girls for your taking. So many girls you don’t have to ask to give you what you want.... (continue)

KEEP CALM IT'S MY BIRTHDAY

 22 RANDOM THINGS MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ABOUT MOI :) I’m 22 tomorrow (July 17) and even though I might not have had ‘favorite childhood memories’ like ‘regular’ people, I’ve been such a blessssed girl. I’m so grateful to God. He’s given me a life better than I ever could have lived on my own. I’m actually a very private person, I don’t like to talk about myself but I just feel so excited about this birthday and I feel like sharing 22 of some of the things most people don’t know about me with you. I won’t go into details, sorry :-p ..hehe... UPDATE: A friend of mine said to me, "I read through this list and most of the things you wrote tell me absolutely nothing about you that I didn't know before, why are you so tight-fisted about information about yourself?"... Plus, my friend, Femi 'Phera' Joshua nominated me to say 20 things about me on instagram recently, so I decided to kuku 'UPdate' this list...some new points have been adde

A LETTER TO MY FUTURE HUSBAND

This one’s for The Man Who Will One Day Become My Soul-Mate in Crime *wink. # Dear future Husband of mine, How are you, mi loveness? I’m not totally sure what my purpose in writing this letter is; I guess I just really wanted to talk to you. It’s so weird that I haven’t met you and I’m writing you, right? Well...  I have sooo many things I wanna say to you and gist you about and I don’t even know how to coordinate those thoughts and make them rhyme. So, this letter may seem all over the place, just be attentive, you’ll understand, because you’re sooo super smart...mwaaah. Right now, my love life is rather lacklustre  and I am heart-broken right now, I'll gist you... but I’m not embarrassed one bit about it or ashamed of not having a serious relationship (or a string of silly relationships). That mostly has to do with my determination not to date someone *just* to date them. I want more than that from my love life and I know you’re absolutely worth the