Skip to main content

TRIBUTE TO A GREAT GREAT MAN: BENKAY (BENJAMIN ADEKUNLE OKEOWO)

 I'd seen him on TV a lot of times, and his performance was always stellar. Without fail.

I'd heard my Dad talk about him a couple of times, (they worked together in NTA for so many years) and he always had nice things to say about him. ALWAYS.

His daughter, Funto was in my class in Secondary School (in fact, her seat was just in front of mine) and I remember a certain Val's Day, he sent her some Val gifts and I was totally in awe 'cause that wasn't something I was very familiar with... :)

...And then, I landed my first major MC job: The Pepsi/Mirinda 50cl Launch in Kwara (I can't exactly remember how it was phrased) and guess who I was blessed to be co-hosting with; BENKAY!!!

I was age 19/20 and I was soooo nervous, you can't imagine. There were so many much older people there, in fact, I had to invite my friend Femi (Phera), so at least I'll know there was someone I know in the audience; but then he was... I can't even start to tell you how at ease he made me feel even though he was just meeting me for the first time. When it was time to call the next agenda, he'll just say 'Priscy-Baybay take this one, you can do it' and gradually, I became more confident...
And at the end of the day when some people thought 'oh, she's a small girl, we can get away with her 'balance'' :)...guess who stood up for me: BENKAY!

He was so full of life and friendly and humble and kind and thoughtful and such a patient tutor and instructor. Words fail me to describe how warm he made me and other people feel...

Thank you for being so awe-mazing, BenKay...We remember you with so much love in our hearts, now and always. Sleep well ...

Tribute as delivered by Mayowa Gidado.

Tribute to Benjamin Adekunle Okeowo-BENKAY (1952-2014)

This was how we used to open your tv programme: We’d say “I welcome you from wherever you are watching us, to the programme you love to watch and remember, I’m talking about “Critical Factor”; a programme asking questions for the good of the people.
And that was how you lived…for the good of the people. Like it was written about the Lord Jesus Christ, you went about doing good. Your face, your name, your voice, your person opened doors and unlocked
places because wherever you had ever been, you left your mark and you spread an aura.

As the Director of Youth Ministry here at the Chapel of Redemption, young people everywhere found shade in your branches and nestled there. As a role model and mentor, your reach was limitless. What was it about you not to be admired? Was it your exquisite dressing or impeccable diction; your bubbling personality or inspiring leadership. You were witty, you were warm, and you were a quintessential gentleman who rubbed off on everyone you met. Young and old alike warmed up to you instantly.

I am honoured and blessed to relate very closely with you as a youth in the church under your care, a protégé at Catbol media under your tutelage, a friend, admirer, fan and lots more. You became my friend and I became a member of your family as well. The last words you said to me as I sat by your bedside and held your arms, while your voice had become a mere whisper, was “my friend….thank you…thank you….” Never knew they would be your last words to me, but the moment was really special.

Watching your life was inspiring. Your relationship with your beloved wife whom you always lovingly called Joleen and whom you loved with such passion was beautiful to watch. Watching her labour over you this past eighteen months or so, I have just one word to describe her; Amazing. The bond you shared with your children and how you supported and pursued their dreams with them, was simply fantastic. You had time for everyone. Going out of your way to help others was your modus operandi. I wonder, what kind of script did you follow, who wrote that script,and how did you learn to live it out so well?

You are a legend; you are a hero; you are my hero! I was content just to be near you and watch you do what you do best, but you wouldn’t let me. You’d push, prod, cajole, encourage, praise (oh! You can so praise). You’d scold, rebuke, affirm, correct…you are amazing. (Forgive me if I don’t use the past tense sometimes, it’s just not working). I recall being live on air with you several times, driving through town and travelling together on assignments, sharing banters, jokes, wise cracks….you would pop into my office and say “hey mayor! Got a minute?”

You were a blessing, you are like Abel, who though dead, yet speaks. Blessed are they who die in the Lord, for their deeds shall follow them. A believer doesn’t merely die; they give up their mortality so they can take up immortality. You have laid down; so you can rise up again. You have traded your cross and exchanged it for a crown. You have put down this corruptible flesh and taken up the incorruptible. For you, the pearly gates have opened; you’re treading the streets of gold already. You have transited from a saint militant, to a saint triumphant.

We are mourning, how wouldn’t we mourn, how! But not as those without hope. We miss you. I miss you. But we shall see again soon. Good night Benkay, I love you so much!

Mayowa Gidado
July 30, 2014

PS: That hymn says: '...thus we would pass from the earth and its toiling, only remembered by what we have done...'
What are you doing? #selah

Comments

  1. Olaleye Olatunde8/13/2014 11:06 am

    I respect him so much. An icon, mentor and someone i can call a "father to many". He will forever be remembered

    ReplyDelete
  2. The legend lives on in the hearts of those he imparted

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PIA VENTS: JUST DO IT? REALLY? LIKE SERIOUSLY?

It’s been a beautiful and restful day… but I’m very pissed and this has got absolutely nothing to do with Nike, believe me. I’m so pissed at the kind of people that makes up my generation. I’m so pissed, I’m crying right now. The kind of greed and lust and immorality and sheer evil that’s going on all around me. That’s what I’m pissed about. We all read about the BOWEN girl that was killed last week by cultists. Why? Because her ‘shakara’ was too much and they ‘wanted to teach her a lesson’. For crying out loud, it is said that as the population of the world stands right now, it’s 4 girls to one guy. and i'm sure there are so many guys who already have their ‘one girl’, that means you can have their other 3 to your 4…meaning there are soooo many other girls for your taking. So many girls you don’t have to ask to give you what you want.... (continue)

KEEP CALM IT'S MY BIRTHDAY

 22 RANDOM THINGS MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ABOUT MOI :) I’m 22 tomorrow (July 17) and even though I might not have had ‘favorite childhood memories’ like ‘regular’ people, I’ve been such a blessssed girl. I’m so grateful to God. He’s given me a life better than I ever could have lived on my own. I’m actually a very private person, I don’t like to talk about myself but I just feel so excited about this birthday and I feel like sharing 22 of some of the things most people don’t know about me with you. I won’t go into details, sorry :-p ..hehe... UPDATE: A friend of mine said to me, "I read through this list and most of the things you wrote tell me absolutely nothing about you that I didn't know before, why are you so tight-fisted about information about yourself?"... Plus, my friend, Femi 'Phera' Joshua nominated me to say 20 things about me on instagram recently, so I decided to kuku 'UPdate' this list...some new points have been adde

30 THINGS TO DO BEFORE I'M 30

A couple of days ago, my friend Sodeeq and I were having our usual chit-chat and suddenly, he said to me ‘Babe, live a little...’ That statement prompted me to start to think about those things I've always wanted to do but just haven't gotten round to doing. During my self search, I suddenly discovered I haven't really really like really done anything very fun or memorable these past years of my life (except, of course, my night out with the girls (Sasa, Leemah and Steph last year....lol. that was super memorable... *lip sealed*)... and that is funny because I consider myself a very adventurous person. I looove travelling, learning about other cultures and all so I don't know why I've been this 'boring'... So I decided to take a break from all the 'seriousness' going on in my life right now and write down some 30 things (fun, some not-so-fun things) I'd like to do on or before I clock 30, and in my awesome graciousness, I have de